Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Reynolds Culinary Arts Student Profile Meet Ed Cary

What motivated you to study culinary arts?  
I graduated from the MCV School of Pharmacy in 1988 with a Bachelors of Science in Pharmacy. I have been a retail pharmacist for the past 30 years. I have worked in a variety of setting in retail pharmacy since graduating. Most recently I was employed by Ukrops/Martins Pharmacy. When Martins decided to pull out of the Richmond area, I decided to start working part-time as a pharmacist and go back to school part-time. I decided to pursue a career in Culinary Arts. I have always had a passion for cooking. My mother was a Home Economics teacher and my father was a cook on a warship in World War II. Both of my parents taught me and my siblings how to cook a very young age.   

Where are you in your culinary studies?  
I am working towards becoming a Certified Chef in the Culinary Arts Program at Reynolds.

What are you working on now?  
This semester I am taking Fruit, Vegetable, and Starch Preparation (HRI 218),  and Soups, Stocks, and Sauces Preparation (HRI 219).

What is your favorite task as a culinary student?  
I am excelling in the all of the classes that I am taking. I have enjoyed all of the classes that I have taken thus far. I have made Dean's List every semester since starting the program in the Fall of 2016.  

What is your favorite ingredient?  
I love meat, seafood, and poultry (and all of the starches that accompany these).

Do you have a “signature dish”?  
My signature dish is Seared Ahi Tuna Steaks with rice, avocado, spring onions, and wasabi/soy sauce.

What would you most like to do in culinary arts when you graduate?  
I am schedule to complete my degree in 2019, and I plan to become the owner/co-owner of a Gourmet Food Truck in the Richmond area.  

What is your favorite restaurant in Richmond?  
My wife and I love The Iron Horse Restaurant in Ashland, VA. We go to this restaurant for all of our special occasions (birthdays, anniversaries, etc.)  

What would you tell other potential students interested in studying culinary arts at Reynolds?  
Chef Miller and Chef Rounds are attempting to take Reynolds Culinary Arts Program to a level comparable to the Culinary Arts Institute of America (CIA) and/or Johnson and Wales University Culinary Arts School. These are the top two schools for Culinary Arts in the United States of America.