Wednesday, March 7, 2018

Meet Stephen Sowulewski – Professor, Health & Physical Education

Did you grow up in Richmond? If not, where did you grow up, when did you come here, and what brought you here?   
I grew up in Saginaw, Michigan and lived on Longboat Key, (near Sarasota for two years) before I accepted the faculty position from Dr. Rhodes in 2004.   

How long have you been a Professor at Reynolds?    
Last year I obtained full professor status after I earned my Ph.D. and will celebrate my 14th year in August of 2018. 

What do you like best about teaching?   
Unlike some jobs where one works with the same set of people for the long-haul, I get to work with a new set of individuals about every four months when the semesters change.  It gives me great satisfaction to work with students on some aspect of their educational journey.  I always tell students that our working relationship is never over—I encourage them to come back and ask questions and let me know how I can continue to assist them on their trajectory.  One of my students kept in contact with me for almost eight years. I wrote quite a few letters of recommendation for her over the years but she was unable to gain acceptance into physical therapy school. After much consternation on her part, she prevailed last summer.  When she relayed the news, I was elated for her. I liken her journey to the  “Footprints in the sand” reflection. There is one piece that mentions, "I never left you during your time of trial…" and that part certainly rings true in this situation. Of course I am not speaking of myself in the Godly sense but I was with this student cheering her on every step of the way.  


What drew you to the area of Health & Physical Education?   
My parents were really fit and became avid runners in the 80s and this inspired me to want to be just like them. Ironically, I was just looking at my scrap book over the Christmas break and marveled at how competitive I was as a youngster. I remember looking forward to the President’s Council on Physical Fitness events and how close I could get to the top tier or percentile ranking in running, chin-ups, pushups and the like. As I got older and mulled over majors, I came across exercise science, and therein was that eureka moment!  It just made sense to major in something so pivotal to one’s longevity.  Through the years my parents have had their trials and tribulations with health setbacks and I am reminded that Ralph Waldo Emerson was right when he said,  “The first wealth is health.   I am confident I made the right choice.  

You have written several articles for the Richmond Times Dispatch, Men’s Health Journal and other publications. How did you get your start as a writer and what is your favorite subject to write about? 
I just inquired with various editors and sent them samples of my work and made pitches and from there, the ideas  just seemed to stick. I am passionate about the topics of nutrition and fitness but I really enjoy writing about faith and religion. In fact, the World Health Organization (WHO) recently added spiritual health into the wellness continuum.  Although religion and spirituality are not necessarily synonymous, there is some interesting research out there suggesting that this domain of wellness might be linked to better health in people who espouse some sort of religion or those that have a  spiritual sense. I wrote an article in the Faith and Values column of the RTD some years ago on this very topic.  

You are an advocate for men’s health and have encouraged men to become in your words, “better stewards of their health.” What are the most important things men can do to maintain their health?   
Men seem to find time to take their car in for an oil change, but are reticent when it comes to their health. Men simply need to place a phone call to the doctor and set up an appointment for a head to toe physical. My three commandments for men are really indicative of lifestyle behaviors:  diet, exercise and sleep. This trifecta is all related and if one revamps their behaviors, the rest will fall into place.  

What is your favorite thing to do in Richmond?  
Eat out at various restaurants—I am a foodie at heart. Next to DC or NY, Richmond is really a mecca for all things food. I just wish they had a good Polish restaurant!

If you won $100 million dollars in the lottery, what would you do first?
After taxes, I would take the lump sum and divvy it up. I would take care of my entire family and friends and then donate to the church and other causes. Afterward, I would purchase a house on the Leelanau peninsula (Traverse City, Michigan area) and buy a vineyard. Next up, to avoid the harsh Michigan winters, I would buy a house on Siesta Key in Florida—often voted America’s Best Beach.  Of course I would need the leer jet to take me between residencies.