Thursday, November 3, 2022

Employee Profile
Beno Rubin, Associate Vice President of Academic Affairs

Where did you grow up and what was it like?

I grew up in New York City and attended NYC public schools. Living there provided me the opportunity to experience a variety of cultures and people from many different backgrounds.  I enjoyed my time there and had many positive experiences.

What were you doing before coming to Reynolds?

I was the Pathway Dean of Manufacturing and Transportation at Tidewater Community College.

What attracted you to a career in education?

I had graduated from community college and was able to secure employment through my program. While I was employed I had the opportunity to mentor new employees and enjoyed the experience of sharing my knowledge with others.

What is the most challenging aspect of your work? The most rewarding?

The most challenging aspect of my work is the quickly changing priorities, but that is part of what keeps me engaged.

The most rewarding part of my work is knowing that what I do will have a direct, positive impact on our students.

What is your favorite quote or saying?

“I never teach my pupils, I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.” – Albert Einstein

What do you like to do when not working?

Spending time with family, cooking, and travelling.

What is your favorite book, movie, or TV series, and why?

During the pandemic I found various videos on how to be a better cook.  I still enjoy watching the various YouTube cooking channels. 

If you won $100 million dollars in the lottery, what would you do with the money?

I would like to start a scholarship for students at the college with some of the funds.  As for the remainder, I will have to get back to you on that.