Thursday, April 18, 2019

Meet Reynolds Culinary Arts Student Vanessa Lorenzo

What motivated you to study culinary arts?
My culinary interest has been on hold for many years because I was pursuing a different career. I started writing about food and recipes back in 2015 and it’s been a good creative outlet. However, I wanted to know more. My motivation to study culinary arts was to have an in depth knowledge of cooking, baking, and food entrepreneurship.

Where are you in your culinary studies?
This is my first semester at Reynolds and was previously at Virginia College/Culinard.

What are you working on now?
Several things. Homework and Projects which appear to be the trademark for a full time Reynolds student. I’m always working on improving my website amusingmaria.com which mostly features Filipino Food or its ingredients. I’m looking into upcoming book events I can attend for The New Filipino Kitchen Cookbook and Stories which I am a part of. Lastly, trying to balance a healthcare career while making time for school and possibly a new job in baking.

What is your favorite task as a culinary student?
My favorite is when our class is in the kitchen lab cooking. I get to practice basic kitchen skills and learn a lot of new things from the Chef. A classroom setting has always been challenging for me. When our class is in the kitchen and applying what we’ve learned in the classroom, then that’s always a favorite.

What is your favorite ingredient?
Salt.

Do you have a “signature dish”?
Chicken Curry - it's the dish I've cooked the most for friends and family.

What would you most like to do in culinary arts when you graduate?
I would like to be a recipe developer or a Pastry Chef. I’m actually still discovering what avenues I can follow while studying culinary arts. Everyone thinks I want to have my own restaurant but it takes a village to build one. 

What is your favorite restaurant in Richmond? 
That’s a tough one. I would say Tiny Victory and Perch since it features what Filipino Food, which is not mainstream in the US, can evolve into.

What would you tell other potential students interested in studying culinary arts at Reynolds?
I've learned so much in my short time at Reynolds and can't wait to learn more. Cooking and Baking is just the tip of the iceberg since there's a lot more moving parts to any business related to food. I quickly realized as a student that the culinary program at Reynolds will not just teach you the skills of cooking or baking but will give you the essential tools to make it in the culinary industry.