Monday, April 15, 2019

Meet Culinary Arts Student Daniel Bishop

What motivated you to study
culinary arts?

I was motivated to venture into the Culinary field because I have always loved cooking. It’s the only job I have found satisfaction in. I’ve been told numerous times that I should open my own restaurant and I’m now on my journey to make this a reality. My end goal is to open my restaurant and have people come together with smiles and full stomach.

Where are you in your culinary studies?
I am in my first lab semester and nearing the end now. It has been awesome and exciting to be able to produce and learn new things. I like the professionalism that comes with it and has really helped in my workplace as well.

What are you working on now?
Currently, I am working towards becoming an Assistant Kitchen Director at my current job, Burgerbach. I am also trying to figure out a more exciting signature dish.

What is your favorite task as a culinary student?
My favorite task is definitely being in lab. I get to produce new recipes and improve upon them. I also get to have actual Chefs taste my food and give me criticism on my dish which is super helpful. Also, being able to cook with ingredients I’ve never seen or used is such a privilege and I enjoy it a lot.

What is your favorite ingredient?
As a student, I’m still finding new ingredients that I like or dislike. I don’t necessarily have a unique favorite, but I’d have to say chicken because of it’s versatility.

Do you have a “signature dish”?
My signature dish is a Korean dish known as Bibimbap or Kimchi Jigae.

What would you most like to do in culinary arts when you graduate?
Once I graduate, I’d like to travel and grasp other cultures foods. I believe this will give me a better understanding of all people and hopefully gives me more ideas for my restaurant ideas.

What is your favorite restaurant in Richmond?
This is a tough one because I’ve only lived in Richmond for about 2 years and I tend to either cook at home or eat at work. I will give honorable mentions to Sen Organic because their Master Pho bowl was fantastic.

What would you tell other potential students interested in studying culinary arts at Reynolds?
I would tell them, “Do it if you have the passion and drive to perfect food. It’s a great program and I feel that the Chefs do care about your success.” If you’re hungry to learn and improve your culinary skills to the next level, this is where to be.