Monday, February 4, 2019

Employee Profile: Pam Lamb Assistant Professor/Mathematics Reynolds School of Math, Science, & Engineering

Where did you grow up and what was it like?
I was born and raised in Richmond and Chesterfield County.  

How long have you worked for Reynolds?
I started as an adjunct in 1990 and full-time in January 1993.



What Math classes do you teach? 
I teach MTE courses, Quantitative Reasoning (MTH 154), Precalculus (MTH 161), and Statistics (MTH 245).

When and how did you discover your interest and,
or talent, in math?

I don’t even remember making the decision to major in Math.  I started out as a French major, took time out to work in an office, and then went back to college as a Math major.  Why—I don’t know. I had no clue what I was going to do with my degree, but I was given a Statistics course to teach the summer after earning my Master’s degree.  It was love at first lecture and I have been in love with explaining Math ever since.

What is the most challenging aspect of teaching math?
Maintaining enthusiasm in myself and the students while wading through all of the negativity surrounding Math (I hate math, Math is not my best subject, why do I have to take this course, when am I ever going to use this, etc.) and getting students to see that everyone can understand and do Math on some level.

What is your favorite activity outside of your work at Reynolds?
I like working on crafts and watching Nascar.

What do you like most about Richmond?
Going to the Nascar races twice a year with my sister.

If you won $100 Million in the Mega Millions lottery what would you do with the money?
I would give a portion to charity, give some to relatives, and if there is enough leftover, build a STEM building at Reynolds!