Thursday, October 25, 2018

Meet Reynolds Culinary Arts Student Shouvik Sarkar

What motivated you to study culinary arts?
The thing that motivated me the most to start culinary arts was first getting experience working back of house in a restaurant doing prep work. I started to really enjoy it so I started looking up recipe videos of Gordon Ramsay and watching a lot of food documentaries. I then started practicing a lot at home cooking for my friends and family and it inspired to me to try and become a professional.

Where are you in your culinary studies?
Right now I am about two years into the program. I maybe have about two more semesters to go until graduation.

What are you working on now?
Currently in school I am taking Food and Beverage Cost Control which is about learning how to maintain and calculate food costs for recipes and menus in restaurants.   

What is your favorite task as a culinary student?
I think my favorite things I have done as a culinary student is be able to volunteer in after school events to get real experience in the culinary world. I really enjoyed volunteering for the Elby's because I was able to meet and see many of the other restaurateurs in the city that I could potentially work for in the future.

What is your favorite ingredient?
My favorite ingredient to work with is pancetta.

Do you have a “signature dish”?
I would say my signature dish is a Carbonara pasta. It is my signature because it uses my favorite ingredient, pancetta. It is also my favorite pasta dish to eat and I make it all the time at my workplace. I think I eat Carbonara at least once a week.

What would you most like to do in culinary arts when you graduate?
What I would like to do the most when I graduate is try to travel and work in as many different kitchens I can to gain as much experience in all types of cuisines. 

What is your favorite restaurant in Richmond?
My favorite restaurant that I've been to so far is Edo's Squid. 

What would you tell other potential students interested in studying culinary arts at Reynolds?
My biggest piece of advice I would tell potential students interested in studying culinary arts is to get as much experience as you can. Try working in a restaurant or practice recipes you have never made before at home. Always keep an open mind and listen to others that can help you.