Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Reynolds Culinary Arts Student Profile Meet Megan Glasscock

What motivated you to study culinary arts?
Growing up I always enjoyed cooking with my grandma, and she motivated me to study pastry arts. When my high school offered culinary classes I decided to try them out. I fell in love with cooking then. I came to Reynolds after finally realizing my dream was to become a pastry chef. In 2014 I received an Associate’s Degree in general studies from Southside Virginia Community College. Then I went to X-ray school, but that was not a fit for me.  It has been a long road to get here, but I’m happy I made it. I have lived in South Hill, Virginia all my life, so it was a big change for me to drive to the city every day for class. So, there has been a lot of adjustments.

Where are you in your culinary studies?
I am currently in my last semester in the pastry arts program and am working on my internship. My internship site is Red Cap Patisserie where they make French pastries. Working here had made me step out of my comfort zone into something I enjoy doing. 

What is your favorite task as a culinary student?
My favorite task as a student is making bread. It is amazing to me that so many types of bread come from just water flour yeast and salt. I enjoy baking because it is very calming and it is a source for creativity.

What is your favorite ingredient?
My favorite ingredient is chocolate; pairs well with everything. 

Do you have a “signature dish”?
My “signature dish” is an apple pie. Apple pie was one of the first dishes I learned to make, so ever since it has been my signature dish. There is nothing super special in the apple pie, I just always make it for all the special occasions in my family. 

What would you most like to do in culinary arts when you graduate?
My goal is to work in a cute little bakery, maybe one in Southside Virginia. 

What is your favorite restaurant in Richmond?
My favorite place to eat in Richmond is En Su Boca for their tacos. I honestly do not eat in Richmond much because I live in South Hill which is an hour and a half away. But my favorite restaurant in South Hill is the Horseshoe Restaurant. 

What would you tell other potential students interested in studying culinary arts at Reynolds?
I would tell people to follow their dreams and to start their culinary journey. I say that if you have a passion for baking then you should go for it! It takes hard work and determination, but it’s worth it in the end.