Thursday, February 10, 2011

Students meet with General Assembly lawmakers

Over the last couple of weeks, JSRCC students have attended “Community College Day” at the Virginia General Assembly sharing their Reynolds experiences and stories with lawmakers.
>>watch the video

J. R. Tucker High School graduate Mariam Ihsane expressed to Delegate Betsy Carr (D-69th District) that she plans to transfer to Randolph-Macon College in the fall and one day work as a news reporter. 

“I came to Reynolds in hopes of trying to find out what I wanted to be, and now thanks to my experiences at J. Sarge, I’m properly prepared to continue my education,” she noted.

A graduate of Caroline High School, India Johnson currently works part-time in the Hanover County courts systems to gain experience and to help pay for her schooling. She explained when she enrolled at Reynolds, she knew exactly what was in her plans.

“I knew I wanted to be a paralegal like my mother. She currently works at Owens & Minor and Reynolds has a great reputation for producing quality paralegals,” she said.  

Following the morning visits, the students walked to the Virginia State Capital where they toured the building that holds the nation’s oldest legislative body.

“That was my first time in the Capital building,” noted Kelly McIntosh, who plans to graduate from JSRCC and transfer to James Madison University. “It was really cool.”

Additional delegates the students visited included: John Cox (R-55th District), Bill Janis (R-56th District), G. Manoliand Loupassi (R-68th District), Henry Marsh (D-16th District), Jimmie Massie (R-72nd District), Jennifer McClellan (D-7st District), Delores McQuinn (D-70th District), Donald McEachin (D-9th District), John O’Bannon (R-73rd District) and Chris Peace (R-97th District).