Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Employee Profile: Benjamin Cowman
Director of Student Life

Where did you grow up, and what was it like?

I grew up in Carroll County, Maryland just about an hour outside of Baltimore. Growing up I enjoyed the outdoors/camping and spending time with family. 

Tell us about your background. What were you doing before coming to Reynolds?

Before coming to Reynolds, I worked at Loyola University Maryland in Baltimore. I oversaw our student and family orientation, peer mentors, and the first year experience. 

How did you get started working in the area of Student Life and Leadership?

My path into this field was a result of my own college experience and involvement. I served in student government as an undergraduate, and became passionate about helping others make a difference and develop their own leadership potential.

What do you like most about working with students? 

I most enjoy being able to see students’ growth, and see how the programs/activities we offer have an positive impact on their lives. 

What is the most challenging aspect of your work?

The most challenging aspect of the work is finding new ways to engage students who already juggling other priorities outside of class. 

What is your favorite book, movie, or TV series?

I am a Game of Thrones fan, and so I’m excited to the newly released House of Dragons series.

What is your favorite food or restaurant in Richmond?

My favorite RVA restaurant is the Can Can in Carytown. 

If you won $100 million in the lottery what would you do with your money?

I would pay off debt, travel the world, and give back to organizations trying to solve the world’s toughest problems (i.e., poverty, climate change).