Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Employee Profile

Ashley King
G3 Advising Coordinator / Advising & Counseling Services

Where did you grow up and what was it like? 

I grew up in Glen Allen, Virginia where I had an amazing childhood. I loved doing activities so I was in extracurricular activities such as: Little league cheerleading, little league basketball, Track and field, and the Step Team. In the classroom, most of my teachers would say I was a “social butterfly”. 

What brought you to Reynolds?

What brought me to Reynolds is my love for people and education. Reynolds being a Community College allows me to meet people from all walks of life and I love hearing and learning about other ethnicities and cultures. More importantly, I love being able to help students reach their educational goals. I can’t say that growing up at Reynolds wasn’t part of what brought me to Reynolds. My mother is Jackie Manley. She has worked here at Reynolds since I was in Elementary School. Reynolds has always been family to me! 

What were you doing before coming to Reynolds?

Before Reynolds I was at Norfolk State University, pursing a major in Sociology and minoring in Criminal Justice. At this time, I worked for Saxon Shoes, where I’d been working the past eight years. Fortunately, Reynolds gave me an opportunity at a “real” fulltime job shortly after I graduated college.

Tell us about your work at the college. What is the most rewarding part of your job? The most challenging?

The most rewarding part of my job here at Reynolds is being able to interact with and learn from people from all over. The most challenging part about my job is hearing some of the difficulties our students face or have faced in their personal lives.

What do you like to do when you aren’t working?

I am a foodie! When I am not working, I am either at home in the kitchen cooking or out eating with my family. I love summer time, so you can always catch me at the pool or beach with husband and bonus son, or chilling with my friends at a concert or lounge. When I am not out and about I am home laying around watching shows and sports with my husband. 

What is your favorite book, movie, or TV series?

My favorite TV Series is Sistahs and favorite movies are Gladiator and The Negotiator. I love to read, but don’t have a favorite book.

If you won $100 million in the lottery what would you do with the money?

If I won $100 million in the lottery, I would reinvest my money into other businesses, start my own businesses and travel the world.