Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Alums

Jacob Dunn – Reynolds Grad & VCU Transfer Student
Excerpt from VCU News – October 19, 2021


Where did you go to school before VCU?

I graduated high school in 2019 and then went to Reynolds Community College. I did two years there and got my associate degree, then transferred to VCU. My last semester at Reynolds was this past spring, so I've had a very consecutive journey.

Why did you decide not to go directly to a four-year school?

I am studying English at VCU, and studying for the LSAT as well because I want to go to law school. So going to community college for two years and then transferring to VCU was the best way to save money, considering I want to go to graduate school.

Do you live at home while going to school?

Yeah, we live in the West End of Henrico, so it's not a terrible commute. … I don't really have an environment that I feel I would need to immediately get out of, which I understand why college, for some people, is sort of their exit ticket.

What have you learned as a transfer student?

I guess when people hear that you're transferring to a school, they're always like, “Oh, be careful. The credits might not transfer. I know somebody who transferred in, and they were a year behind all of a sudden.”

That is why I would suggest making sure you know where your credits fit before you transfer and making sure you pick a major early. I couldn't imagine transferring to VCU still undecided, although I understand why that is the case. Coming in and still being undecided, that would be tricky.

What resources did you utilize to help make the transition easier?

I was part of the Pathways to VCU program. It totally set me up for a smooth transfer. … There was an entire day at Reynolds dedicated to discussing stuff, and I met with an adviser. So, for me, I think when it came to my transfer to VCU, it was the easiest thing in the world.

What advice would you give someone who has transferred to VCU?

Get involved. I feel like that's what everybody says. But that honestly is probably the best advice that I could give because VCU is a very easy school to just show up and go to class and go home because it's in an urban environment. So I think that finding extra-curriculars and getting to know people in your classes. Make conversation with people.

How has the school year been so far?

I think my whole college experience has been different with COVID-19. I think that we were only going in person for my first semester at Reynolds. But I think that one of the things that I learned is that there is such a different level of academics at VCU. The caliber of the professors, for sure. I mean, they're all very knowledgeable in their field. That's one thing that I've really appreciated, depending on the class, you can see that the professor is clearly into what they're talking about. Whereas at the community college, and also at the 100 and 200 level at VCU, it's a little bit more general.