Wednesday, September 22, 2021

Faculty Profile

Beverly Davis

In September 2021 Reynolds Associate Professor, Marketing, Business and Management, Beverly Davis was honored at the Ruth Cole Harris Annual Leadership Institute Luncheon. Her award profile - shown at the end of this post - tells the story of her accomplishments and why she was honored.

The Ruth Coles Harris Leadership Institute is part of Virginia Union University's Sydney Lewis School of Business. The Institute offers students a lecture series, and workshops and seminars for the community.  

The Ruth Coles Harris Leadership Institute offers leadership lecture series to students, workshops for professionals, certificate programs for professionals, and seminars to the community at-large. It is intended to deepen participants understanding of leadership, administration, business, entrepreneurship, and to strengthen leadership skills which embrace service to others. “The Leadership Institute is a special offering for our students so they can learn from accomplished professionals first hand,” said Dr. Hakim J. Lucas, President & CEO of Virginia Union University.

Beverly recently took time to field a few interview questions about her award and her work.

You were recently honored at the Ruth Coles Harris Leadership Institute luncheon. Please tell us about the Institute and the honor you are receiving. 

With the leadership award, the Institute honors people who are making a difference both professionally and in the community. The Ruth Coles Harris Leadership Institute shines a light on individuals who are wonderful role models for VUU students.

How are you affiliated with VUU and the Institute?

I received my Bachelor’s degree in Business from VUU in 1973.  I was nominated by Dr. Ruth Coles Harris for this award.  

How long have you been an Associate Professor at Reynolds? And tell us about the courses you teach.

I was hired as an adjunct faculty the summer of 1973 and offered a full-time position that Fall semester. I have been employed at Reynolds since that time. I teach classes in marketing, business and retail.

In addition to being an Associate Professor you are COO of Davis Brothers Construction Company. Please tell about your role in the company. 

I serve on the Board of Directors for DBCC and advise my husband and board members on marketing and business practices.  My son and two daughters have VP positions and oversee the day to day operations of the business. Davis Brothers Construction Company, Inc. is a multi-generational family business founded in 1908.

Please tell us about Dr. Ruth Coles Harris?

While attending VUU I was a work-study student for Dr. Harris. I worked for her during the four years I was enrolled at the college. She was Dean of the School of Business. She was an outstanding mentor and role model. Dr. Harris guided me with her knowledge, experience, and expertise. She always reminded me to keep an open mind, to have patience, tenacity, and to have a vision. 

She wanted me to always see the big picture and to understand what it takes for me to achieve my goals.

She stressed to me the importance of developing leadership skills and emphasized that I should always be my own person. 

You are a very busy woman. What do you like to do outside of your work?  

I am very active in politics and in community service organizations.  And of course, I enjoy spending time with my children and grandchildren.