Monday, August 9, 2021

Faculty Profile

 Words to Live By

One year ago in June Nakia Austin gave a very short, very direct, very memorable message to the graduates participating in Reynolds 2020 Virtual Commencement ceremony. She spoke passionately about the graduates having GUTS, the Great Urge to Succeed. (watch Nakia's graduation speech)

At that time, most of us didn’t know, Nakia was demonstrating her own GUTS. At that time she was in the throes of pursuing her own success: Her Doctorate.

Now, one year later, Nakia has graduated from Nova Southeastern University with a Doctorate of Health Science (DHSc) in Health Care Education. Her applied research topic was Clinical Simulation in Respiratory Care, in which faculty are educated to incorporate low, medium, and high fidelity simulators into a Respiratory Care curriculum, preparing students for clinical rotations.

Nakia is a woman with words to live by. There is the GUTS acronym. But, as an individual she also lives by, and shares the following quote with her students:


Effort is what ignites that ability and turns it into accomplishment.
– Carol S. Dweck

Nakia has been with Reynolds full-time for 20 years. Many colleagues know her, and possibly know her personally. But there are new faces at Reynolds, and for those who don’t know Nakia, it’s time to meet her and catch the wind of her spirit and drive. Here is her Employee Profile.

Did you grow up in the Richmond area? If so, what was your experience?

Yes. Richmond is home for me. I attended Richmond Public Schools through the 7th grade. I then transitioned to All Saints and St. Gertrude’s Catholic Schools. The transition was definitely a culture shock, but I quickly adjusted to my new learning environment. During the summer of my sophomore year, I made one last school change, which resulted in me graduating from Hermitage High School in Henrico, VA. My movement through different school systems gave me an opportunity to experience people from all walks of life.

Growing up in the Richmond area has been enjoyable. I have enjoyed what Richmond has to offer from the entertainment venues, parks, museums, restaurants, and the personal and professional relationships.  

How did you get interested in studying Science and Respiratory Therapy?

My niche has always been math and science. After graduating from high school, my goal was to become a Physical Therapist. I attended Old Dominion University to complete a BS in Exercise Science before applying to PT school. To gain experience in the field, I volunteered one summer at a Sports Medicine Clinic. I worked with great people throughout the summer but realized the Physical Therapy profession was not a good fit. Not wanting to change my major, I spoke with my advisor, who was previously a Respiratory Therapist in the Richmond area. I graduated from ODU and immediately enrolled in the Respiratory Therapy program at Reynolds Community College.

What motivated you to become a professor? At St. Gertrude’s Catholic School, my 9th grade science teacher provided me with feedback on a presentation. She stated, “you would be a great teacher.”

As a 9th grader, being a teacher meant working with students in K-12. Therefore, I had no interest in teaching especially after being exposed to some unruly classmates. In moving forward, I became a clinical instructor for students in the Respiratory Therapy program. Soon after, I was approached with applying for a full-time faculty position. I guess others saw the potential in me that I didn’t see in myself over the years.

How long have you been with Reynolds? Full-time for 20 years.

What is your greatest challenge, and greatest reward in teaching? My greatest challenge in teaching is motivating students to push through obstacles. The greatest reward in teaching is seeing students grow in their knowledge, hands-on skills, and attitude from the beginning to the end of a course.