Thursday, September 3, 2020

Administration

Dr. Shashuna Gray
Interim Vice President of Academic Affairs

Where did you grow up, and what was it like?

This is the most difficult question to answer. My father was in the United States Air Force. He worked in missile silos. We lived in obscure off the map locations. I loved living in Great Falls, Montana. In the summer we would hike to the falls and in the winter, we spent time sledding and skiing. School was never cancelled and at times the snowfall would surpass 12 inches in one day.  I was born in Forestville, Maryland but attended high school in Montgomery, Alabama. In between Maryland and Montana, I lived in England as well.  

If you didn’t grow up here, what brought you to Virginia?

I originally moved to Virginia because of my ex-husband’s job. He worked for PriceWaterhouseCooper at the time. Employees had to reside within a 50-mile radius of central office. There was an office in Fairfax, so we moved to Stafford, VA. I have lived in VA since August 2004.   

Please tell us about your background.

I have a BS and an MS in biology. My PhD is in Community College Leadership from Old Dominion University. I have worked in higher education for 26 years.  I spent 10 years at Alabama State University as the laboratory manager and laboratory instructor. I spent almost two years at Northern Virginia Community College as the laboratory manager and an adjunct biology instructor and prior to coming to Reynolds, I worked for fourteen years at Germanna Community College in Fredericksburg, VA as an instructor, department chair, and then becoming the dean of arts and sciences.   

Reynolds is fortunate to have you here with us as an Interim VP. You have been here since the summer. Please share your observations of Reynolds so far.

I have developed a philosophy which matches the excellent standards set by Reynolds Community College as a provider of quality, accessible education. The values of the institution align with my own and I am excited to come to campus (even without the presence of many students) to engage in an organization committed to providing relevant programs. 

What are the most rewarding aspects of your work?

This job varies greatly from my previous job as a dean. I rarely see students unless I pass them on a walk. I had to get use to this difference, I am an achiever. At the end of each day being able to help coach or mentor, ensure the quality of the courses and programs, and supporting my direct reports are the most rewarding aspects of my work. My strengths are ideation, achiever, learner, developer, and determination. I like that this position allows me to use my strengths to support the mission and values of Reynolds.  

If you had one extra hour a day, how would you use it?

Honestly, with one extra hour in the day, I would either sleep or sit on my front porch.  Since Covid-19, I spend more time sitting on the porch.  It is hard to do this during meetings because of the outdoor noises. 

What do you like to do outside of work?

Outside of work, I read, write novels, and play Pokemon Go. I am level 40 and playing the game helps keep me active. Every Halloween, the deans at Germanna created a costume experience. This was a well-planned event. I also make Christmas ornaments.  

What do like most about Richmond even though you are coming here at a time when your opportunities to explore have been limited by covid-19?

I love the multiple dimension of Richmond. This is city rich in history and the city acknowledges its past, red lining. You could experience a more rural environment and within a few minutes experience city dwelling. The city is the home to multiple institutions of higher learning so to me that speaks volumes of the values of this area. With so many institutions, the colleges and universities also have the obligation to give back to the city a more educated citizen.  

If you won $100 Million in the Mega Millions lottery what would you do with the money?

If I won the lottery, I would set up an educational trust fund for each of my three children. I would donate to an orphanage in China, pay off the loans at my church, establish an endowed scholarship for a former colleague at Germanna, and buy my parents a house next door to me. I would still work every day. I believe we all have an obligation to support our society. I know you are probably wondering about the orphanage in China. One of my former office mates is from China and she told me once, she was leaving her estate to an orphanage. I shared with her that if I ever came into some money, I would donate on her behalf.  I might upgrade my 2012 Kia to a newer year…maybe.