Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Meet Culinary Arts Student Samuel Bausone

What Motivated you to study Culinary arts?
Actually, my biggest motivation to study Culinary arts was memories. Even though I did not really work in a professional kitchen before starting my studies, ever since I can remember I have always cooked at home. Some of my favorite memories with my family have all come from cooking in our kitchen or eating out somewhere. That and I have always been fascinated with how food (especially desserts) gets plated. I love the art of how to present a dish just right.

Where are you in your culinary studies?
I am brand new to my Culinary studies and this is currently my first semester at J. Sargent Reynolds.

What are you working on now?
Currently I am working on getting my Associates of Applied Science in Pastry Arts and trying to gain as much experience in the industry as possible. Later on, I plan on getting an Associates of Applied Science in Culinary Art as well.

What is your favorite task as a culinary student?
Like I said I am a new student so I am not entirely sure yet, however, I think I will enjoy learning to decorate wedding cakes.

What is your favorite ingredient?
My favorite ingredient is probably chocolate because it can be use in so many different desserts. Not to mention the sweetened kind makes a good snack when you are not baking.

Do you have a “signature dish”?
I would not particularly say I have a signature dish as of yet. But, the closest thing I can think of is simply pancakes with eggs and bacon, which has always been a favorite in our household especially with my siblings.

What would you most like to do in culinary arts when you graduate?
Right now, when I graduate I would most like to just spend time getting experience in the field. My dream is to one day open a bakery, but I still have quite a bit to learn before that can become my main focus of my career choice.

What is your favorite restaurant in Richmond?
Hands down my favorite restaurant in the Richmond area is Roma’s Italian Restaurant in Sandston on Williamsburg Road. Extremely friendly staff, great food, family friendly and overall it just has a great atmosphere. Our family has been going there since my dad was a kid and it’s always our family place when my grandfather comes to town or any other special event. Not to mention they’ve become family and have helped inspire my love of cooking. Every visit involves hugs, conversation, and a hopefully a taste of their incredible desserts.

What would you tell other potential students interested in studying culinary arts at Reynolds?
For anyone looking to start studying Culinary Arts, my biggest piece of advice is to get into the industry as soon as possible. It is very different than most people's idea of it. In addition, find someone in the field to look up to and ask questions. Also start networking early. Culinary Arts is based more than most Industries on who you know; a good word goes a long way after all.