Thursday, September 28, 2017

Meet Mike Vaughan Assistant Professor - Welding

Are you from Richmond or did you come here from another city and state?
I was born in Memphis, Tennessee. My Dad was in the Navy, but his family was here in Virginia.

How long have you worked for Reynolds?
Full time for the last 11 years, part time for around ten years before that.

What do you like best about working here?
The students, who come in all ages and backgrounds and have so many stories to tell.

How did you get started as a welder?
My first introduction  was when I became employed as a mechanics helper at Reynolds Metals Extrusion Plant. One of the welders there first showed me how to strike an arc.

What is the most challenging skill you teach to new welders?
The ability to develop an eye for precision and detail, which will set them apart from the average welder.

When you are not working, what do you like to do?
Hunt, Fish, and play Guitar.

If you won the lottery, what would you do first?
I have never played.

What is the one thing you want others to know about you?
My word is my bond.

What is the best compliment you have ever received?
Students have told me I was the best teacher they ever had.

Who is your most respected hero or heroine, and why?
A toss-up between my Dad (86 now), and Theodore Roosevelt. They were both outstanding outdoorsmen, who were tenacious in all they strove to accomplish.