Thursday, May 5, 2016

CCWA Cares with community volunteer Mark Brickey


*Can you describe your volunteer efforts?  What group do you serve and what is their mission?  What kinds of things do volunteers do for this group?
Since relocating to the Richmond area 10 years ago, I have connected and volunteered with dozens of local nonprofits, thanks in large part to being introduced to them by HandsOn Greater Richmond.  HandsOn partners with area nonprofits to train and assign team leaders, recruit and build volunteer teams, and develop volunteer projects to meet the nonprofits’ needs.  Along with coordinating volunteer opportunities throughout the year, they also hold special larger-scale days of service annually devoted to volunteering such as HandsOn Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, etc.  You can find opportunities to make a difference in whatever area or issue interests you through HandsOn whether it be working with animals, seniors, kids, environment/conservation, education, special needs, homelessness, and many others.  For more info on how to get involved visit www.handsonrva.org.



*How or why did you get involved in volunteering?
I always had an interest in volunteering but it really hit home and became a true passion of mine in September 2005.  I was living in Mississippi when Hurricane Katrina came through.  In the aftermath, I spent countless hours over the course of several weeks volunteering in disaster relief / missing persons through the collaborative efforts of MEMA (Mississippi Emergency Management Agency) and the American Red Cross.  This very emotional eye-opening experience was one of the most profound in my life and I experienced some incredible things both good and bad that I will never forget.  It instilled something deep inside me in which I attribute significant credit for making me the person I am today.
*How long have you been involved?  How much time do you devote to volunteering (weekly, monthly)?
My volunteer “career” truly solidified itself in January 2007 when I registered with HandsOn Greater Richmond.  I typically volunteer several hours each month often among numerous organizations.  There are a handful of regular volunteer events in which I participate annually as well such as HandsOn Day in October, Fetch A Cure usually in May, and probably the most fulfilling and rewarding endeavor for me each year is Homeward’s annual Project Homeless Connect in November.  I would recommend that event to anyone who has a passion for this cause.  You can check out a short video of it at https://vimeo.com/18680883.

*Do your volunteer efforts impact your job at Reynolds? (Follow-up: If you volunteer during the work day, do you use your Volunteer Leave?)
Yes and in very much a good way.  In my work role, the more knowledgeable I become with the numerous agencies and services available in the community and exactly what they do and can offer, then the more valuable of a service I can provide to the individuals whom I assist in my job.  Through volunteering, I become familiar with these resources.  It’s not uncommon for clients to need supportive services that I am able to connect them to through my volunteer contacts.
And yes, I have utilized my Volunteer Leave time.  During my first-day orientation, I thoroughly read over the employee leave details specifically in search of such a policy and was very happy when I discovered that it exists.  Knowing that Reynolds Community College and its leadership values volunteerism enough to build this into our benefits package, I consider it an honor to work for such an employer.

*Do you have any tips for others who want to get involved?
My advice would be to start by introducing yourself to various nonprofits and participate in one activity with each to get to know them better. A few years ago my alma mater was celebrating its centennial.  In celebration of “100 years”, I developed a campaign to personally volunteer 100 hours of community service over the course of the year and document my adventures.  I did so by creating the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/101021246612662/?ref=browser and also a hardcopy binder with pictures from each stop along the way.  My intention was to not only communicate my progress but also to share links for people to access more information on each of the agencies and organizations so that they too may become involved.  When the year was over, I had performed over 100 hours of service for 18+ organizations.

I encourage or even challenge anyone reading this (faculty, staff, students, whomever) to embark on their own “helping hundred” year of service and track your progress.  And if you do, please let me know as I would be delighted to witness your journey.

In fact I may even be willing to start my next hundred too.



Mark is a CCWA (Community College Workforce Alliance) Adult Career Coach.  He recruits, advises, and enrolls participants in credential training programs; Prepares and develops participants in employability skills activities and help participants navigate the workforce system and connects them to various supportive services available in the community. CCWA is the workforce development partnership between Reynolds and John Tyler Community College.