Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Reynolds Alum Wins Third Place in Business Competition



Roving report Dylan Chaplin recently interviewed Isaiah Ham, a Reynolds alum, and soon to be VCU graduate, who participated in the Richmond SCOREcard Business Model Canvas Competition with his proposed product “Ivy Oaks Analytics”. They discussed his time at Reynolds, the SCOREcard Business Model Canvas Competition, and his future as CEO of Ivy Oaks Analytics.
D.C - Are you currently a Reynolds student, or have you graduated? If you are still a student at Reynolds or another institution, what do you hope to do after graduation? If you have graduated, what are you doing professionally/employment-wise?
I.H - I graduated from Reynolds in 2014 and am in my final semester at VCU. When I graduate in May I will continue running Ivy Oaks.
 
D.C - What are/were your favorite classes at Reynolds and why?
I.H - I really enjoyed my TEDU classes at Reynolds. The professors were passionate and offered valuable insights. My assignments were often designed to encourage creative responses rather than recite definitions or facts. Reynolds does an excellent job of encouraging students to think outside the box and I think other academic institutions should follow Reynolds’ lead.

D.C - How did you get involved in the SCOREcard Business Model Canvas Competition?
 I.H - Two of my advisors are affiliated with the Richmond division of SCORE. They recommended that I apply to be a contestant. I was somewhat hesitant initially as there were 23 other companies accepted but ultimately it worked out well. 

D.C - How did Reynolds prepare you for the competition?
I.H - Reynolds helped me develop a strong sense of self-worth. Many inaccurately view going to a community college as somehow inferior to a four-year school, and while a Reynolds student I sometimes felt like the underdog. Waiting in the green room before the semifinal round, I noticed the six other finalists were much older with considerably more business experience. My time at Reynolds instilled a self-reliance that allowed me to disregard other competitors and remain focused.

D.C - Tell me about your proposed product “Ivy Oaks Analytics”
I.H - Ivy Oaks Analytics is working to reduce preventable injuries and diseases in summer camps and provide the public with a platform to locate areas where they are less likely to be injured. We do this in 3 ways:

·         We service camps monthly to reduce tick populations, eliminate poison ivy, and remove stinging insect nests. We have a lot of innovative tools including insect repellent paint, insect repellent trash bags, organic materials to reduce tick populations, and devices that prevent ticks from hosting. We gauge our effectiveness by measuring tick populations before and after treatments. We also gather data on the total number of campers that were bitten by ticks, contracted poison ivy, or injured from a stinging insect in the summer before our services. These totals are compared with the summer that our services are implemented. We anticipate great injury and tick population reductions this summer.

·         All camps we service are certified and listed on our website www.IvyOaksAnalytics.com. Our database is the first of its kind which allows parents, campers, and staff to find a summer camp that has prevention measures for ticks, poison ivy, and stinging insects.

·         We are working on devices to be patented that treat mice, squirrels, deer, and other tick hosts with a liquid which prevents ticks from hosting. The animals are in no way harmed and the liquid is applied as they eat feed. This process works similar to a pet owner putting Frontline on their dog to keep ticks and fleas off. In this way we can reduce populations at a low cost.

D.C - Even though you placed third in the competition, do you hope to still advance Ivy Oaks Analytics and if so, how?
I.H - Absolutely, there is a serious neglect of these hazards in camps and many kids are being injured. It is urgent we grow Ivy Oaks as quickly as possible because there are going to be kids that end up in the hospital this summer from threats we can prevent. We are currently raising money to fund our first year. Since the contest outside startup organizations have approached us to work together.

D.C - How proud were you about placing third in the competition?
I.H - It would have been nice to win first, but it was a great experience. The judges included the CEO of Virginia Biotech, a representative from Berkshire Hathaway, and a venture capitalist just to name a few. Having these individuals with extensive business success recognize the potential of Ivy Oaks was very encouraging. 

D.C - What advice would you give someone that wants to start a new business?
I.H - Don’t start a business to have a business because it’s going far more difficult than you ever imagined, especially if you’re doing something no one has done. However, if you see a problem in society that a business can solve don’t let anyone talk you out of it or discourage you. I am passionate about Ivy Oaks being successful because I was hospitalized as a child at summer camp for poison ivy and was a camp counselor where a camper contracted Lyme disease. 

D.C - What opportunities are you currently exploring?
I.H - I just returned from New York meeting with a tick-borne disease research group and a few summer camps in Pennsylvania. We should begin working with Dominion Innovation Resource Center to develop prototypes of our devices. I recently met with NBC12 who we will be working with to make parents aware of our database. Determining the appropriate avenues for funding is a major focus right now. A few people have suggested applying to be on Shark Tank but it’s a bit early for that.