Thursday, February 25, 2016

Meet Reynolds Student Bloggers Clarissa and Kristin



Reynolds students Clarissa Dery and Kristin Schaefer will be sharing their experiences and views of what it is like to be a student at Reynolds over the next few months. Clarissa and Kristin come from very different backgrounds but have bonded as friends at Reynolds. This is the first segment of the students’ blogs - we hope you enjoy reading about what brought them to Reynolds, their involvement at the college and what they each hope to accomplish once leaving Reynolds.

Meet Clarissa Dery: 
  My name is Clarissa Dery and this is my second year at Reynolds Community College. I am a Social Science major transferring to Virginia Commonwealth University next semester. I consider myself a coffee connoisseur and an avid seeker of wanderlust and adventure. My experience at Reynolds has truly been a wonderful journey as I explore my passions and interests. My first day at Reynolds I had no idea what I wanted to do with my life or what I wanted to major in, but the encouraging faculty has helped me carve out a path to follow. Now, I am currently serving as Secretary of Student Senate, a member of Phi Theta Kappa National Honor Society, and a member of the JSR Lead program. Through these opportunities, I have gained valuable connections, experiences, and skills that I will use every day in my professional career.
My experience at Reynolds was more than just a classroom setting; I was able to gain knowledge through attending events such as the Virginia General Assembly and the VCCS Student Leadership Conference. I was able to utilize many resources and opportunities that Reynolds has to offer. The greatest advice I can give to students is to use your resources and expand your college experience beyond the classroom. In these past two years, I have accomplished so much and none of it would be possible without taking that first step.


Meet Kristin Schaefer:

“You’re going to college.” Is what my parents had been telling me from the time I first started school. There was no debating, arguing, or changing- I was going to college- a four year college to be exact. Both my parents and my older sister had gone to four-year universities and I was expected to do the same; however, when it came time for me to apply I had no idea where I wanted to go and what I wanted to study. My advisor at Tucker High School took over at this point, helping me apply to numerous universities in Virginia, and Reynolds Community College- a college I never expected to find myself attending.
            Starting in August of 2014 I found myself still living at home, driving to school, and going to Reynolds. It was the best decision I ever made. Reynolds has given me so many opportunities and through Reynolds I have been able to discover what I really like and I have a better understanding of what I want to do with my life after I transfer. If it had not been for my advisor at Tucker High School, I would not be where I am today.