Friday, May 4, 2012

Rhodes featured in library exhibit

Dr. Gary L. Rhodes is featured in the “Why Children’s Books: Inspiring Generations” exhibit at the Richmond Public Main Library on Franklin Street in Downtown, Richmond. The fascinating exhibit demonstrates the long-term influence of a children’s book. Whether it is the memory of reading with a parent, the first time a book is read alone or the emotional power of a certain tale, the stories shared by Rhodes and other notable Richmond personalities reaffirm the importance of free and easy access to books for all children.

April 12 – May 29, 2012

Richmond Public Main Library
Monday through Wednesday: 10 am-7 pm
Thursday and Friday: 10 am-6 pm
Saturday: 10 am-5 pm

For additional information, call (804) 646-0117



Gary L. Rhodes, Ed.D.

Dare to imagine


         
I have fond memories of my childhood. I was born in East St. Louis, Illinois, but grew up just across the Mississippi River in St. Louis, Missouri. Summers were the best. Most days I spent my time outdoors playing with my collie, Dutchess. I remember spending hours swinging on the tree swing in the back yard, playing ball or just exploring the world around me. I was an inquisitive kid with a vivid imagination. That’s probably why Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson stands out as one of my favorite childhood books.

I guess I was a little like Jim Hawkins—naturally curious, impulsive at times, always looking for that next adventure. My parents were wonderful because they encouraged me to imagine what could be and to explore new ideas. I remember coming home one day to find three brand new unicycles—one for my dad and the others for my twin sister and me. We had a lot of fun learning to ride those unicycles. That creative spirit has shaped who I am today.

My colleagues at J. Sargeant Reynolds Community College have come to know me as an idea machine. Some of my ideas are better than others, but the point is to keep generating them. We should encourage our young people to dare to imagine. There is no better catalyst for creativity and innovation than a good book.