Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Meet Reynolds Culinary Arts Student Mary Ammons

What motivated you to study culinary arts?
I’ve always been interested in cooking, and working the last few years in the industry made me want to expand my knowledge and prospects for future employers and, ultimately, investors.

Where are you in your culinary studies?
I’m in the second year of an apprenticeship program, meaning I’m almost halfway done.  

What are you working on now in class?
I’m taking a baking class with Chef Johnathan Highmore.

What is your favorite task as a culinary student?
My favorite part of class is pulling out and tasting the product and knowing it came out right, then figuring out how to make it better.

What is your favorite ingredient?
I like to continuously learn by using new techniques and ingredients; I don’t have one specific favorite ingredient, but I do enjoy working with indigenous fruits and vegetables and game meats.

Do you have a “signature dish”?
My friends would say my 3-Cheese Lobster Mac 'n Cheese.

What would you most like to do in culinary arts when you graduate?
Continue to work in different areas of the field, such as on farms as a cook or for non-profits, and to learn as much as possible about food from the very beginning of the seed until it’s either eaten or disposed of so I can go on to create my own business or organization that strives to use incredible ingredients ethically and responsibly and teach others how to do the same.

What is your favorite restaurant in Richmond?
 I’m torn between Acacia and Kuba Kuba.

What would you tell other potential students interested in studying culinary arts at Reynolds?
What several chefs that I’ve worked with and learned from over the last few years have told me is that you get out what you put into it. Basically, find something in everything you do that interests you.