Tuesday, September 4, 2018

Meet Reynolds Culinary Arts Student Willoughby Harrington

What motivated you to study culinary arts?
I have always loved working with my hands. Cooking for me is a form of meditation.

Where are you in your culinary studies?
Once I am finished with my current internship, then I will be finished with an Associate’s Degree in Culinary Arts.

What are you working on now?
I am working at the Inn at Little Washington. When I finish with my internship at the Inn at Little Washington, I will be finished with all of my Culinary Arts classes. 

What is your favorite task as a culinary student?
I have always appreciated practicing knife cuts.
 

What is your favorite ingredient?
Pork Belly. Pork Belly is very versatile. A lot of cuisines have found different ways to use it, including, bacon, salt pork, pancetta, etc. It can be grilled, fried, sautéed, cured, and smoked.

Do you have a “signature dish”?
Coffee Rub Pulled Pork Butt.

What would you most like to do in culinary arts when you graduate?
I would like to travel across Asia and cook for some of their best restaurants, like Gaggan or Nahm, both located in Bangkok, Thailand.

What is your favorite restaurant in Richmond?
I have a soft spot for Shagbark. The cadre of chefs that have worked there over the years taught me everything that I currently know about working as a line cook. Also, the food, presentation, and plate execution are phenomenal.

What would you tell other potential students interested in studying culinary arts at Reynolds?
Leave your ego at the door. Don’t take anything personally. Be patient. Build relationships with your peers. Do stamina/cardio workouts in your free time; you’ll be on your feet a lot. Also, laugh, or else cooking will seem like a chore.

December 6, 2018 Update: Willoughby is weeks away from completing his internship at The Inn at Little Washington and they have already offered him a cooking position. Considering The Inn is listed as one of the 100 best restaurants in the world, being offered a position there straight out of culinary school is an amazing accomplishment. Expect nothing less from Willoughby or from any student coming from Reynolds Culinary Arts program. A blog article is soon to come about Willoughby's adventure at The Inn.