Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Reynolds Students Named Coca-Cola Scholars

Reynolds Community College is pleased to announce that two of its students have been selected as 2018 Coca-Cola Academic Team Scholars. James Brown and Donald Cooper were selected from more than 2,000 applicants and named as Coca-Cola Bronze Scholars.


The Coca-Cola Academic Team recognizes high achieving two-year college students who demonstrate academic excellence and intellectual rigor combined with leadership and service that extends beyond the classroom to benefit society. Of the more than 2,000 applicants this year only fifty students were named Bronze Scholars. To be eligible for this program, students must submit an application for the All-USA Academic Team and be selected as a nominee by their college. Donald and James were nominated by Reynolds. Their selection was based on academic achievement, leadership, and engagement in college and community service. Funding is provided by the Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation.

Donald Cooper
When asked how he felt about winning this scholarship Donald Cooper had this to say: “Ultimately, winning this scholarship has pushed me to be a better version of myself. After getting my letter that I had won the Coca-Cola Academic Team scholarship, I was of course super pumped. However, it made me reflect back to all of the time I had put into applying. I am honored that someone took a great deal of time to read about my life, my choices, and my passions. Again, it means the world to me that someone out there can see or relate to my story of self discovery and improvement, and be there to help provide for my financial needs in the next chapter of my career.”
Donald and James will be recognized at the Phi Theta Kappa Annual Convention in Kansas City, Missouri in April.

“The Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation has a long history of providing financial assistance to outstanding students at community colleges,” said J. Mark Davis, President of the Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation. “We are proud to partner with Phi Theta Kappa and make it possible for deserving students to achieve their educational goals.”

“We thank the Coca-Cola Scholars Foundation for recognizing these student leaders and for investing in their futures,” said Dr. Lynn Tincher-Ladner, President and CEO of Phi Theta Kappa. “Scholarships like these are integral to the success of these students in reaching their educational and career goals.”