Thursday, March 22, 2018

Reynolds Arts Student Profile Meet Matt Chubb

Have you always been interested in art or did you discover your talent and passion later?
I have always been interested in the arts in some fashion or another since childhood. I was involved in community theater in middle and high school which gave way to an interest in photography in college. My interest in the visual arts really bloomed after college though. I was involved in an artist circle with other young professionals where my interest really became a passion. 

What is your area of study at Reynolds? 
I do not a declared major or area of study per se, but I am taking courses in both the arts and psychology. 

What is your favorite medium? 
That's a hard one to narrow down to just one as I find different media can evoke different feelings and atmospheres depending on what I am trying to express. I find that in the studio I prefer charcoal, mostly, because it has a painterly quality that I have come to enjoy.   

How does your art express your feelings and attitudes?
Many times I will find myself drawn to very detailed work, work that has a lot straight lines and abstract forms or work that is bold, with a lot of contrast. Over time I've discovered that those tendencies spring from being detail-oriented, possessing an intense personality and experiencing some intense contrast in my own life. 

What would you like to do with your art background in the future?
I would like to use my passion for the arts to assist others in their journey toward wholeness, using art as part of the therapeutic process. I have found personally that art and beauty have been a way back to health for me and I believe I have a responsibility to grant that chance to others. 


What advice would you give other students interested in studying art at Reynolds?
Challenge yourself. Take the risk. If for no other reason that you challenge the notion that you can't draw or paint. You may find that you can. That revelation may just inspire you to challenge yourself in other areas.  Additionally, our arts faculty here at Reynolds is excellent, both in their training and in their commitment to inspiring students to explore, risk and pursue endeavors in the arts.