Monday, December 11, 2017

Meet Louis Luchsinger

Automotive Technology – Program Head & Instructor


Where did you grow up? If not in Richmond, how long have you lived here, and what brought you here?
I was born and raised in northern New Jersey, just across the river from NYC. I have not officially moved here yet. I rent an apartment near Goochland, and commute back to my home and family in NJ on most weekends. We have purchased property nearby, and are in the early stages of having a house built. The opportunity to work here at Reynolds introduced me to the area, the friendly people and beautiful countryside cinched the deal.

When and why did you get involved with cars?
My father owned a service station when I was in my early teens, and I helped out there a lot. I developed a strong passion for cars and motorcycles, became a true gearhead, and started racing during my high school years. It has developed into an extremely rewarding, and satisfying career, doing something I have always loved.

How long have you worked for Reynolds?
It will be two years this January.

What is your favorite part of your job?
Teaching my craft, and seeing my students’ reaction when it finally “clicks”, and they truly understand what they’ve been taught and how to use it. 

What is the best car you have ever owned and why?
I have had so many, I could never pick just one. So I will talk of my current project car, a 1980 Lotus Elite. It is a unique vehicle with many early British vehicle challenges, but it helps to keep me reminded of the brilliant minds such as Colin Chapman’s, that have influenced automobile design throughout history. 

How about the worst car? And why?
That same Lotus Elite. It is an early British vehicle with the everyday issues of cars from that era. (Still glad I own it, but it is something I can gripe about when I need to complain.)

What advice would you give someone buying a new car today?
Buy only what you need, the technology changes so quickly. Be aware, great strides are being made in electric vehicles. They are evolving quickly, and will likely be a serious consideration in the not so distant future.

What do you like to do when you are not working?
Spend time with my family (especially my grandchildren), attend or participate in automotive, racing and country music events. 

You’ve just won the Mega Millions jackpot. What are you going to do first?
Provide for my family’s needs, my grandchildren’s education, check a few things off my “bucket list”, and give back to the communities which enabled me to pursue my passions.