Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Students visit with General Assembly lawmakers

(L-R, Shane Robertson, Zac Carroll, Kelly McIntosh,
Cheri Morrell, Ryan Harris and Angela Miller)
JSRCC students recently attended “Community College Day” at the Virginia General Assembly, sharing their Reynolds experiences and stories with a number of lawmakers.
Louisa High School graduate Shane Robertson expressed to Senator Thomas Garrett, Jr. (R-22nd District) that he is currently working towards his Automotive Technology  Associate Degree while also working for an automotive dealership in Orange, Va.

“I think it is important for me to get an associate degree,” noted Shane. “By earning an associate degree, it shows employers that I know how to do math, that I’ve passed courses in English and know how to do critical thinking and speaking in front of groups. Those are important skills.”

A mother of two, Angela Miller discussed with Delegate Peter Farrell (R-56th District) that she hopes to transfer to the University of Richmond and become a special education teacher. “Reynolds has given me an opportunity I can afford, as I take the first steps toward my degree to teach.”

Angela and Shane were joined by fellow students Zac Carroll, Ryan Harris and Kelly McIntosh.

Following the morning visits, the students walked to the Virginia State Capital where they toured the building that holds the nation’s oldest legislative body. During the general assembly session, the group was introduced and welcomed by Delegate John O’Bannon (R-73rd District).